Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to the most common questions we receive about the Report My Loss service.

Report My Loss is a police-supported system that allows online recording of lost property.

Through its connections to the police NMPR, it ensures that the details of lost items are instantly available to police forces nationally. This increases the chances of recovery considerably.

Report My Loss has proven to be a cost-efficient service for the reporting of lost property. In addition to national reporting, Report My Loss also provides documented proof of the loss report that can be used to help make insurance claims.

A loss report can be created online by anyone at any time or place. When a report is created it is made available on a secure database (NMPR) which can be searched only by police and lost property offices nationally if property is found. This increases the chances of lost items being identified and returned to the rightful owner whilst decreasing the chances of associated criminality.

Report My Loss is a commercial service that works in direct partnership with other crime reduction systems and the police. In some areas where reporting is not subsidised by the police, a small fee is charged in order to provide the service. If property is lost in areas subsidised by the police then the saving is passed on and the loss report is free. When you report the location of loss the charge, if any will be shown before you complete your report.

Police forces have no government remit to deal with lost property and many do not have the resource or funding to process loss reports, which is why Report My Loss has become a valuable resource to them. It allows for greater focus on key policing matters that include crime prevention and investigation.

Once a report is submitted you will receive an email confirmation. The details are then immediately available to the police via the NMPR (National Mobile Property Register). If property is handed in or recovered by the police, they can search the NMPR for loss reports. Contact will be made by the police force directly when property has been recovered and succesfully identified.

If property is handed in or found by the police, they should check it for identifiers and then search for it on the NMPR (National Mobile Property Register), using the details on the loss report to contact the owner. Report My Loss is not, however, part of the police force and once a report is submitted we do not handle any physical lost property or update the site with found property.

Many insurers have issues with fraudulent claims. A loss report can verify a legitimate claim, giving them assurance that the claim is valid and can be processed. Once a report reference number is given to an insurer, they can then verify the reports free of charge.

No. Report My Loss is an online service that deals only with reporting. The service does not handle any physical lost items and does not provide or dispatch any insurance replacements, as the service is independent from insurance companies.

If you lose an official document of any kind (for example, a passport, driving licence, national identity card, visa, blue badge), we recommend you do not make a loss report. Instead, it would be best to ask the issuer to cancel these documents and provide new ones. If the issuing authority themselves are advising you to make a loss report, we urge you to question the logic of that request. A loss report made here will not benefit you because these types of documents, if found, are typically returned to the issuing authorities.

Any information you provide to Report My Loss is securely recorded and stored by Recipero (provider of the Report My Loss service and other crime reduction solutions). The information that you provide as part of your report is made available to police to aid identification and repatriation of property. It is also used in a redacted form to ensure lost items are not traded by retailers, recyclers or other businesses. The details may also be used by insurers to help speed up their claims processes.

All data that is provided to Report My Loss is collected and stored securely, in-line with the requirements of our accreditations and data protection recommendations.

If you have further queries, please review our privacy policy or contact us so that we can address any specific query you may have.

Report My Loss should only be used for accidental losses. If a theft has taken place, this should instead be reported to the police force for the area in which the crime took place. The police will then provide you with a crime reference number.